Monday, April 21, 2008

7th Graders and Essays

Apparently if you don't make a 7th grader write an essay every week (and even if you did I'm afraid), they forget everything you ever taught them, especially opening statements and to NEVER use "I" in a formal paper. I've only proofread maybe half of them and I'm seriously about ready to blow up. I don't think it matters how many times you tell them and remind them about everything they've ever learned about essay writing; they're just going to forget it anyway. They don't care. I know I really shouldn't either, but it's frustrating. It's even more frustrating that I don't have them all.

It's amazing how many printers break and siblings steal essays when it comes time for an essay or project to be due. I love the "I'm done but I forgot it at home" excuse as well. I threatened to make them stay with me today to get it done, but I really didn't want to deal with kids today after school. Tomorrow, however, they will be staying after school because I have to have them proofread so they can have them back on Wednesday to finish the final draft by Friday. Ah!

I'm taking a personal day on Wednesday. I need it. The kids are starting to get crazy since the weather is nicer and they don't want to be inside. I understand, but that doesn't mean we don't still have school. It'll be interesting.

Here's to warm weather and Spring that finally decided to show up in Iowa! (And to getting the rest of my essays graded by tomorrow afternoon...)

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.