Thursday, April 17, 2008

Subjects and Verbs

Apparently 7th graders forget what a subject looks like and what a verb looks like after 3 months. This is despite the fact that we find the subjects and verbs every other day in our DOLs... I was just a little frustrated today. I didn't think the assignment was that hard. We were talking about simple and compound sentences, and all they had to do today was find the subjects and verbs in each. I didn't think it was that hard, but apparently we have forgotten everything we knew. For one class I had to go through a sentence and label every part of speech in it for us to remember what a subject was and what a verb was! Ah! I hope they have figured it out by tomorrow. It should be review.

Students are really starting to frustrate me. I guess I should say 2 of them are. One consistently misses my class but can somehow make it to school for the rest of the day. We made him go to another English class at the end of the day today. I'm tired of playing that game. Another one just refuses to do work for anyone, doesn't want help from any teacher, and lies about it when I ask him what homework he has. I know it's not my responsiblity to worry about them the way I do, or to get upset with them for their lack of responsibility and work ethic, but it bothers me. I think it's more because they make extra work for me to take care of because I have to reteach and keep bugging them to make sure they get their work in. It's just annoying. I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but I do.

We practiced today for our skit for the talent show next Friday. It's going to be fun! We're doing a version of the "Evolution of Dance" that's flying around youtube. I think the kids will enjoy it.

I'm going to use my weekend to plan The Pigman I think. I need to figure out exactly what I'm going to do with it. I have some ideas, I just need to find time to sort through the binder and put things down on paper. I need to do it this weekend because I'm going to have essays and multiple other assignments next week that need to get graded and taken care of.

The school year is winding down, but we still have a lot to do. I'm just glad the weather's been nicer - though this rain isn't really any fun.

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.