Sunday, September 9, 2007

Birthday Weekend!

Thursday was my birthday! My kids sang to me after lunch and in my 7/8 class and the teachers made me a card/sign and sang to me after school. As it was a Thursday, we didn't really do a whole lot because many of my friends from Drake still have classes. We had a "party," if that's what you want to call it, last night. It was just a bunch of friends hanging out and playing Guitar Hero. I really thought that I would be really bad at that game, but after a bit of practice, I'm actually not. Tonight I went out to dinner with some friends to celebrate my birthday and another girl's birthday, since hers was today.

On the school front, we are finally done with essays, at least for the moment. Their final drafts are due on Tuesday. I will admit, I was a little frustrated with some of them because they acted like they had no idea what they were supposed to do, after we'd spent the better part of two weeks going over how to read for understanding, highlight important points, write an essay map, and then turn it into an essay. I guess we'll see how well their essays turn out. I attempted to explain "Special Person" to them on Friday as well. The main reason I'm special is because I hadn't given them homework until that day. Guess I've made some sort of impression... We are starting Short Stories and Grammar this week. We'll see how it goes.

Part of me is a little nervous because I haven't had any of this since my own days as a middle school student. I have to reteach myself before I can teach the students. On the other hand, I know that I know it, I just have to find a way to make it relevant and exciting for all. It's hard being a new teacher because I don't really know from day to day what I'm going to do or what I'm supposed to be teaching. I have to rely on the other teachers in the English department to tell me what they're doing, and go from there. I feel like it's even harder for me because the other English teacher on my team does things her own way and doesn't try to stay where the other 7th English teachers are, which makes it hard for me to plan during common planning time or really to know if my kids are at a similar place. I know it will be fine, I just need to get into the swing of things and be confident in myself.

It's starting to cool down quite a bit now. I don't think I'll ever get used to how fast it gets chilly up here.

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.