Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday + Rain = Bad

As much as I love my job, I hate Mondays. Not only because I'm tired from the weekend when I got to sleep in and veg out, but also because the kids don't want to be back at school either. It was cloudy, cold, and rainy all day today, which really didn't help anything. The kids were even more lethargic than usual, and my last class, which is usually my most upbeat class that makes the best of everything and laughs the whole time, was whiny and cranky. I really hope we're all in better moods tomorrow. I know the rain doesn't help anything, believe me, I hate it when it rains, but today really just kind of caught me off guard. I didn't know how to respond to the whining.

They asked why they needed to know how to write essays. How do you explain to a 7th grader that they need to know how to write and communicate to other people, no matter what their job, from a janitor to a CEO? To them, it's boring and useless. Even when you tell them that Science majors write just as much as English majors, they don't care, they'd rather not do anything. Sometimes I pity the students I teach. They don't realize what they have because of where they live. If they lived for a day in the shoes of my students I taught during student teaching, I would hope they wouldn't complain half as much as they do about essays and homework that I'm finally giving them. They would be happy to be at school with their friends where they feel safe and have all the materials and clothes and whatever else they need to be happy.

Wow. I don't know what's gotten into me today. Perhaps it's the weather, just the same as the kids. Today was just a frustrating day for me, kid wise. On the other hand, I did finally get a binder organized so that I can find what I'm looking for in the order I need it, as opposed to having to go through everything to find one piece of paper. That was a bit of a relief.

Tomorrow is another day, and I'm looking forward to getting more stuff planned so I have some idea of what I'm supposed to be doing!

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.