Thursday, January 18, 2007

First Days

Ok, so it's only my second day of student teaching and I'm already
exhausted, and I can't even really say that I've done anything! I
guess 6 AM is just a little early for my body that's used to getting
up later. I went to bed at 10 last night and slept pretty much the
whole night through - very unusual for me, and still jumped when the
alarm went off this morning? Hopefully my body gets used to it sooner
than later, because I definitely don?t like being tired at 5:30 in the
evening.

I think I killed about 6 trees today. I had to make 125 copies of all
my handouts and whatnot for next week. The one good thing is that
there are no codes for the copy machines, so a) I don't have to
remember it, and b) I'm not wracking up the pages my teacher has used!
I am amazed at how fast the copy machines can spit out 125 pages. I
thought the copier at the Ed. Building was fast; I was wrong.

I almost got in a wreck today. I was pulling out of QuickTrip and some
lady comes flying out of nowhere. I had the right of way because I was
going straight and she had to turn to get to the main road, but I
fortunately saw her before she t-boned me. I slammed on my brakes and
she didn't even slow down. I looked at her and she wasn't even looking
at me - as if she didn't want me to realize she knew I was there, saw
me, and still didn't care that she was about to smash into my car.
Maybe I should have let her hit me - then I would've had an excuse to
get a new car, but that would've been bad for the present because then
I wouldn't have a car. Oh well. We didn't hit and everyone is fine.

One good thing: Today I worked with a student for about an hour on her
vocabulary assignment. She came to me first, not my mentor teacher. It
made me feel good, and at least like I was doing something other than
sitting in my corner of the room observing and doing nothing useful. I
hope there are many more moments like that one.

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.