Thursday, October 4, 2007

First Time Sub!

Today I had my first ever sub in my classroom. I had a SINA meeting this afternoon, so I had to have a sub. I'm not sure how it went. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

The meeting was interesting. We really really need to focus on good Reading strategies for all of our students, but especially the ones that were targeted. This means that we walk away from direct grammar instruction and hide it in other stuff. That should be interesting. I have mixed feelings about that. I feel that grammar is important and they should know it, but I also understand that we need to get away from that and focus on Reading. I also believe there are other ways to teach grammar other than from the horribly laid out grammar book we currently have. We'll see how all of that goes. It may be a bit more work in the beginning, but I definitely think it will help in the long run. Plus, on the ITBS tests, "grammar" really consists of proofreading - we can teach that!

I'm taking tickets for the Waukee vs. Valley football game tomorrow night. That should be interesting, if not a little crazy!

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.