Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tutoring and End of the Year Stuff

I went and helped a lady with business stats tonight. Now, I've never taken business stats, but I have had stats before (they're all really the same, aren't they?) and I can read a textbook and look up information. What seems to be the biggest trouble is that she did not take the time to look at the question and then look through the book to figure out what math needed to be done in order to get the answer. It also helped that she happened to have the answer book. Once I know the answer, I can generally figure out how to get there from the equations and information given to me... I guess that's a skill I need to make sure I teach my students - using your resources! Don't get me wrong, I understand that stats is hard and that the letters can be confusing if you have no idea what they mean. I hope I helped her; she said it made more sense to her.

On another note, we learned today that we have to pack everything up in boxes, including everything in our desks and file cabinets, and put them in boxes and pray they get sent to the right room over the summer. I am not a very happy person. I don't mind moving and putting things in boxes, but I do mind not getting to put textbooks in the room I'm going to be in and having to unload a perfectly good file cabinet that can be easily moved. Ah, the beauracracy of it all! Oh, but I have the "opportunity" to pack everything up and I should be happy that I get new furniture! I am happy, as long as bookshelves are included in that new furniture.

6 days left of school. Tomorrow is an early out day, so it should go by pretty fast. Their children's books are looking pretty good. I had to go buy colored cardstock today for the covers, but that's the expense of an educator. A lot of my own money goes toward my kids, but I really don't mind it that much. If it helps them be successful, or gets them interested in something, it's worth it.

I usually go home for Memorial Day weekend, but I'm not going anywhere this weekend. Gas is too high and I just don't really feel like driving anywhere. I'm more interested in sleeping and getting some stuff caught up.

Have a safe and relaxing weekend!

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.