Monday, December 10, 2007

Christmas is Coming!

It's only two weeks until Christmas Break. It seems like this year has just kind of flown by - I can't tell you where all of the time has gone! One of the kids told me today that she didn't like break because she didn't get to see her friends. While I understand the sentiment, and kind of feel that way about my friends here, I need a break and I need to go home and be with my family and get some sleep! It will be nice to just be able to sleep and stay in a warm house and not have to go outside if I don't want to. Granted, it will be warmer (I hope!) in Kansas than it is in Iowa, but it will still be nice to be able to stay inside the house.

We're supposed to get nasty weather tonight - ice with snow on top of it. That should be interesting. The kids are convinced we'll have a snow day tomorrow, but I don't really think that's going to happen. If we get a snow day, we have to make it up at the end of the school year in May. I think it's ridiculous that we do not have at least one snow day built into the schedule. Even Kansas has snow days built in! I guess we do get more ice than snow, which is generally more dangerous, but still. Iowa gets a lot more snow than we do, and they don't allow for that potential of school having to be cancelled for the weather...

We are starting to write myths in class this week. I really like it because I don't have papers to grade every day and can focus on getting some other things done after school - like Christmas shopping! I haven't gotten any of that done yet and I have to be ready by the 22nd because of all the Christmases I have in a row with my family and friends. I was going to go tomorrow - we'll just have to see how the weather turns out. Next Monday is going to be interesting with the myths because we are collecting them all and having them ready for them again on Tuesday... Talk about a long long day. I only have 52 students, so I hope it won't take me too long. The other English teacher is going to be a little swamped I think. I hope it isn't too bad.

I went to The Nutcracker on Saturday. It was pretty good. I was surprised that they had their guest dancers do "Snow" instead of being the Cavalier and the Sugar Plum Fairy, but whatever works for those producers. I kind of want to get back on pointe and try out for their Spring Show, but that would be a lot and I can just see myself stressing out. That, and I haven't been on pointe for 5 years. It's going to take more than 3 weeks to get back in shape for that... I do miss performing though. Maybe at some other point in my life will I be able to do that...

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.